photo credit

Raw photo by Metrophoto, edited by hubbywifeylife.

Monday, October 4, 2010

My lips are dry [ISIH]

Dry, unkissable lips
In sickness and in health

In one of our visits to the bank, our account manager commented with a questioning look, "I always see the two of you carrying around a water bottle. Why is that?"  This post is one of the explanations why Bee and I always lug around our conspicuous water containers (the Lock & Lock ones with a blue cap) no matter what the occasion.  When I don't have my bottle with me, it makes me feel like something's missing in my life.

Ever heard of water therapy?  I first heard of this from my sister--a dermatologist--and she swore she got well from a cold just by drinking a huge amount of soup and water in small, frequent doses. But not too much, of course. Please see the Mayo Clinic's take on the daily recommended amount of water intake.

If your lips are dry and it's not because of cold weather, then it's a sign you're not drinking enough water.  Aside from cold and UTI prevention, it also keeps you from eating too much--very helpful when you're on a diet.

If your lips are still dry after knowing that you've been drinking enough water, then it's time to put some water (moisture) on your lips, then seal them with petroleum jelly.  Chapstick's nice for kissing, but my dermatologist sister doesn't really recommend it.  She mentioned that it can actually lead to further dryness. I'm guessing that's because it puts unnecessary chemicals on your lips.

How do you know if your lips are dry? Rub your lips together or touch them. It should feel completely soft and smooth. If you feel some roughness, then it's time to glug on some liquids. So if you see me rubbing my lips together or touching my lips with my finger, it could either mean that I'm checking if I'm dehydrated, or I'm feeling kinda sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment